Re: Re[2]: I'd rather teach a...

Subject: Re: Re[2]: I'd rather teach a...
From: Ron Miller <RSMH -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 20:16:48 -0400

I agree with Arlen. There are a lot of different types of writers who refer
to themselves as technical writers, and I think this leaves a lot of room for
misunderstanding. I certainly do not place myself in the league of those of
you who write technical manuals for airplanes or other complex hardware. I
write manuals for software and minor pieces of hardware such as scanners,
mice, etc.

Therefore, when I stated:

I once heard a saying that it's easier to teach a good writer how to be
>>technical than it is to teach a technical person who lacks writing skills
>>be a good writer.

I was looking at this from my perspective in my own little technical writing
niche, and not someone who documents especially complex tasks.

On the other hand, I have had to become familiar with a wide variety of
subjects through the years including imaging, hazardous waste regulations,
law, pen-based computing, etc., so I don't feel as though I lack the ability
to learn technical subjects and write about them coherently.

Still, I think Arlen makes a valid point.

Ron Miller
RSMH -at- AOL -dot- com