A Good Word for Word 6

Subject: A Good Word for Word 6
From: Richard Davenport <RKDaven -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 1995 12:33:39 -0400

>Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 06:54:04 -0700
>From: Susan Kloster <srk -at- PLAZA -dot- DS -dot- ADP -dot- COM>
>Subject: Thanks anyway

>Many thanks to all who responded to my frantic inquiry about Frame vs Word 6.
0.
>It's hell working for someone who knows nothing about writing. I'll be in
training for
>Word 6.0, much to my dismay. At least we get training right? However, my
boss
>was persuaded to purchase one copy of Frame. Does anyone have anything good

>to say about Microsoft word 6.0? I was surprised not to get at least one
favorable
>response for Word.
>Susan Kloster srk -at- plaza -dot- ds -dot- adp -dot- com
>Technical Writer (503) 294-4200 ext 2299
>ADP Dealer Services

Microsoft Word 6.0 is a terrific word and document processor. It is also an
adequate desktop publishing package for projects that are consistently and
minimally formatted. We produce our software manual (250 pages) on Word. (It
had been produced in Ventura, but after Ventura was essentially abandoned, I
wanted to make a change.) With our user manual in Word (and everything else
too), it is accessible to everyone in the company for proposal and marketing
efforts. We did make some compromises in the way we used auto-numbering and
frames, but the results are excellent. The manual has one to two bitmaps
(screen captures) per page. Chapter sizes we try to limit to 25 pages. We
output to a Xerox Docutech. I'd be happy to give you more details if you'd
like.

Going to Word is a good move. Higher-end desktop publishing packages are
terrific. But for a wider company audience, they make your documents more
difficult to access.

Regards,

Richard Davenport
RKDaven -at- aol -dot- com