Re: Spelling inquiry: Cacheable? Cachable?

Subject: Re: Spelling inquiry: Cacheable? Cachable?
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 07:25:39 MST

Fran Freiman <ffreiman -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM> asked about--
> I read some posts from some of you good people out there who are crack
> grammarians. Please cast you eyes on these spellings:

> cacheable? cachable? Which is correct?
===============
This is from the NY Public Library Writer's Guide to Style and
Usage, page 399:

"If the root word ends with a silent -e preceded by a consonant
and if the suffix begins with a consonant, the silent -e is
usually retained.

[your suffix doesn't begin with a consonant, so this
doesn't apply ... it goes on ...]

"If the root word ends with a silent -e preceded by a consonant
and if the suffix begins with a vowel, the silent -e is usually
dropped.

come, coming
deceive, deceivable, deceived, deceiving
love, lovable, loved, loving
size, sizable"

Based on these rules, I'd say drop the "e" -- cachable.

=*= Beverly Parks =*= bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=