Re: Spelling inquiry: Cacheable? Cachable?

Subject: Re: Spelling inquiry: Cacheable? Cachable?
From: The Tech Writer <techwrtr -at- CRL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 11:15:31 -0700

On Thu, 27 Apr 1995, Beverly Parks wrote:

[snip]
> "If the root word ends with a silent -e preceded by a consonant
> and if the suffix begins with a consonant, the silent -e is
> usually retained.

> [your suffix doesn't begin with a consonant, so this
> doesn't apply ... it goes on ...]

However, the silent "e" --as someone else pointed out-- affects the sound
of the preceeding letter combination...changes it from a hard ch to a
soft "sh" sound.

> come, coming
> deceive, deceivable, deceived, deceiving
> love, lovable, loved, loving
> size, sizable"

None of the letters preceding the silent "e" are affected by the "e".

> Based on these rules, I'd say drop the "e" -- cachable.

Best to make it easy on the reader...which reads faster?

David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com
dcastro -at- hpsrdas -dot- sr -dot- hp -dot- com