step formating

Subject: step formating
From: Kelly Kremin <kellyk -at- CYBEROPTICS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 08:02:16 LCL

When you are instructing in a user guide filled with multi-step
procedures, what are the prefered methods for formating a one step
process?

For example, to perform one task with this product all one needs to do
is press Q on the keyboard.

Co-workers protest my using the normal procedure paragraph formatting.
They don't like a procedure consisting of one step only. One co-worker
suggests standard body text like this:

To blah-blah-blah, press Q on the keyboard.

So, it's a one line paragraph usually flanked by longer paragraphs.
The usual dingbat that visually clues you a procedure follows is
missing. The step gets lost.

What's the happy medium here? Is a one step procedure "legal"? I don't
want to use a bullet.

Help!

Please send responses to kellyk -at- cyberoptics -dot- com

Thanks.

Kelly M. Kremin
CyberOptics Corp.
Minneapolis MN