Indexing terms with acronyms[2]

Subject: Indexing terms with acronyms[2]
From: Paul Sholar <pks -at- GENSYM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 10:32:12 EDT

Paul MacGyver Carman (Paul -dot- Carman -at- harris -dot- com) wrote:

For example:

Simple Network Management Protocol (see SNMP)

SNMP
xxxxx
yyyyy
zzzzz

_and_

View Builder
xxxxx
yyyyy
zzzzz

VB (see View Builder)

With our customers, the acronym "SNMP" is used more than the terms
for which it stands. The term "View Builder," however, is used more
often than its acronym.

My preferred practice is this:

[...]
Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
xxx
yyy
zzz
[...]
SNMP
See Simple Network Management Protocol
[...]

If an indexed term is truly an acronym, I feel that it is inherently
subordinate (for indexing purposes) to the term that the acronym stands for.

If an indexed term looks like an acronym but isn't, then that term should be
indexed according to your document's conventions, with no need for a separate
"See ..." subentry.

Communicate well and prosper,

Paul Sholar ( pks -at- gensym -dot- com )
Sr. Technical Writer
Gensym Corporation
Cambridge, Massachusetts

DISCLAIMER: Not speaking for Gensym Corporation