White Papers: What Are They (Anything You Want)

Subject: White Papers: What Are They (Anything You Want)
From: Harold Henke <hessian -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 14:41:11 MDT

Having written a white paper, commissioned a white paper to be written,
and reviewed white papers, I think of a "white paper" as an:

"Objective position paper", which some would say is an oxymoron.

For example, we wanted to publish a "white paper" that compared our
product's functions and performance against competitive products. Since
we wanted an "objective" paper, we hired outside consultants and had them
write the paper. The net result was the paper described what our product
did, how it could be used, and how our product stacked up to competitive
products. So this "white paper" served as both a product positioning
document and a competitive analysis. And I should add, the outside
consultants signed their name to the document.

A good example of a white paper, IMHO, is the IBM Open Blueprint White
Paper. G326-0395. Open Blueprint is our strategy for providing open systems
to our customers. The white paper states our position and intentions on this
subject.

Harold Henke
Advisory Information Developer
IBM Printing Systems Company
Boulder, CO
Where planes do fly out of Denver International Airport