Need Advice from Technical Illustrators

Subject: Need Advice from Technical Illustrators
From: "A word is worth 1/1000 of a picture." <angela -at- SMARTSTAR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 09:12:11 -0700

Are there any technical illustrators on this list? If so, I'd really
appreciate any advice you could give me on getting into the technical
illustrating field. (Or, if there is a separate list for illustrators, can
someone point me to it?) I've been a technical writer in the computer
software industry for several years, and I'm planning to eventually move to
technical illustrating. I've taken various courses in both drawing and
drafting. The next courses I take will be in colored pencil drawing and
architectural rendering.

What courses, books, or software do you recommend? My current plan is to take
a variety of courses in art, drafting, and graphic communications. What kind
of environments/fields do you work in? Do you do your illustrations mostly by
hand or on a computer? Are there a lot of places that hire full-time
technical illustrators, or are most of the opportunities (hopefully there are
at least one or two opportunities out there ;-) ) in freelancing? Do you have
any advice on how to get experience (other than coursework)?

Any advice, warnings, support, etc., will be very much appreciated.
Please reply to me directly.

THANKS!!!

Angela Howard
angela -at- smartstar -dot- com