Re: Spelling inquiry: Cacheable? Cachable?

Subject: Re: Spelling inquiry: Cacheable? Cachable?
From: Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 08:28:00 PDT

The Cacheable Conspiracy, Phase II:

Marlene writes:

<snip, snip, snip...>

>>however, you want to argue and discuss, I'm all for that. :)

I talked to the hardware and software engineers here about 'cacheable'
memory, and they were not troubled by this word at all. In fact, one or two
pointed out that they have been known to ask if one of our processors had
cacheable memory. [One was indignant that there was an issue, and swore he'd
seen the word before.]

BTW, he was relieved that it did, as memory caches are good things,
generally.

The alternative is this: either, ask, "Is the memory cacheable?" or "Is the
memory configured so that certain files can be temporarily placed there in
order for the processor to access them without having to perform a hardware
access to the hard drive?"

Put me on the other side of the dike with the sledgehammer; I'm a convicted
vocabulary abuser. I distinctly remember in the seventh grade, kindly Mr.
Costello writing a word on the board for the edification of the class that I
made up to use in an essay. I don't remember the word, just the
encouragement.

Garret Romaine
gromaine -at- radisys -dot- com