Re: Eng vs Writer

Subject: Re: Eng vs Writer
From: MONETTE DENISE P 678-3843 MACA <dmonette -at- ARL -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 07:43:46 -0600

Tamara made some good points. I think this is why it is a good idea for
technical writers to have *some* technical background. To earn my
undergraduate degree, I was required to take chemistry, physics, and
calculus just like all the engineering majors, and I was required to minor
in a technical or scientific field. I did not choose to work in the
field of my minor, but all the classes made it more comfortable for me
to work with scientists and engineers. I am far from being an expert in
any one scientific or engineering field, but I know just enough to know
when something doesn't sound quite right and I need to go to the
scientist or engineer for clarification.

I figure I know just enough to know when something needs clarification.
When I am working on technical documents, I assume that the entire
audience probably will not have the level of expertise of the scientist
or engineer; therefore, I can help them determine when and where the
documents need to be modified to address a larger audience.

As for the technical writer versus engineer debate, that is like trying to
compare donut bakers with police officers; they both do their jobs and
they each benefit from the expertise of the other. Thank goodness we
aren't all the same, life would be very BORING!!

* Denise Monette Technical Writer/Editor dmonette -at- arl -dot- army -dot- mil*
* *