Engineers, writers, Queen Victoria and the vapors

Subject: Engineers, writers, Queen Victoria and the vapors
From: Nancy Marie Ott <ott -at- ANSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 May 1995 12:07:49 EDT

I am an engineer and a writer, and I don't see what the controversy is
about. Those who claim that you can pick up either discipline simply
by taking a few classes are missing the point. The most important
skill for a technical writer is knowing how to learn ... regarless of
whether you start out with an engineering degree or a writing degree.
My engineering background has been an immense asset, but my writing
skills have been equally important.

- nancy

PS: Apologies for being off-topic...but in regard to the "vapors"
thread:

Queen Victoria was born in 1819, and reigned from 1837 to 1901. This
was the time in which it was said that "the sun does not set upon the
British empire." Victoria did *not* reign for 50 years after the end
of the Antebellum era -- this would have had her sitting on the throne
well into World War I (1915)! In terms of US history, the Victorian
era encompassed the tail end of the Antebellum era, the Civil War, the
Reconstruction, and the age of the Robber Barons.

Anyway, I cannot conceive of Queen Victoria suffering from the vapors.
Maybe flatulence, but not the vapors. :-)

"Walk wide of the Widow of Windsor
For half of creation she owns
We've bought her the same
With the Sword and the Flame