Re. SyQuest, CD, and CD-R

Subject: Re. SyQuest, CD, and CD-R
From: QMS Account <Robert -dot- Morrisette -at- EBAY -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 09:19:20 +0800

" Just a quick clarification for anyone following this thread: CD-ROM
drives (which only read data from a compact disk) are not the same as
CD-R (recordable CD) disks. The former cost about $200 and are
ubiquitous; the latter cost about $3000 and are rarer, whether on the
east or west coasts.

BTW, I misread the intent of the original posting. CD-R drives aren't
at all suited to casual "I need to copy this file before I leave"
copying; SyQuests are ideally suited to this purpose. Hope this helps.

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: These comments are my own and don't represent the opinions
of the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada."

You can now buy dual-speed recordable CD-R drives for $1,500.
Slow, but OK for low volume. The recording and search software
is just as important as the hardware.
There are two new books on CD recording:
New Rider's Guide to CD ROMS (2nd Ed)
The CD-Recordable Bible by Dr. Ash Pahwa
Magazine is CD-ROM Professional.

As writers, we should remember that a CD-ROM or CD-R disc is not a disk.

Bob Morrisette
control -at- qms -dot- EBay -dot- Sun -dot- COM