Re: Style Guide... /These aren't doc. style guides.

Subject: Re: Style Guide... /These aren't doc. style guides.
From: chuckm -at- MDHOST -dot- CSE -dot- TEK -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 10:53:33 PDT

Stephen Schiller asked:

> What style guides are people using for their documentation? The style
> guides I've often seen recommended on this list are GUI style guides,
> not documentation style guides.

> {deletia}

> Any comments or recommendations anyone? Please send comments/flames to me
> personally?

We have our own style guide, but one source we used is:

XEROX PUBLISHING STANDARDS, A Manual of Style and Design,
Xerox Corporation, Watson-Guptill Publications, 1988
ISBN 0-8230-5964-2

Contents (from the back cover):

1. Publishing Process
Document planning
Research and design
Writing and editing/preparing graphics
Production
Distribution
Updating and storage

2. Document Organization
Generic document strucure
Document access and cross-referencing
Front matter
Subject matter
Back matter
Legal considerations
Revision documents

3. Writing and Style
The meaning of style
Content factors
Bias-free writing
Multilingual communication
Readability
Paragraph construction
Sentence structure
Technique and form
Word choice and usage
Grammar
Spelling
Punctuation
Capitalization
Abbreviations
Numerals
Editing and proofreading symbols

4. Visual Design
Design rationale
Page specifications
Column layouts
Typeface
Text
Graphics and tables
Headers and footers
Heading options
Placing and spacing elements on the page
Special pages
Tabs
Binding
Cover

This is an excellent book and I highly recommend it.

Chuck