Comma Usage

Subject: Comma Usage
From: Kelly Burhenne <burhennk -at- SMTPGW -dot- LIEBERT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 13:46:43 EST

Text item: Text_1

> Here's another one for the English Experts:

> Which sentence is correct, relative to the comma:

> The Tech Writer was bright, articulate, knowledgeable, and computer
> literate.
> or
> The Tech Writer was bright, articulate, knowledgeable and computer
> literate.

Obviously, neither of these is *correct*. Both uses are widely
accepted. However, I have a strong opinion on this matter. I much
prefer using the last comma because it avoids all confusion and I see
no reason *not* to put it in.

e.g., I had a hot dog, salad, pork, and beans.
I had a hot dog, salad, pork and beans.

Now what do they mean? Did they have a porkchop and some beans or
"pork and beans". There are many times I have been a little confused
when the last comma is omitted. This certainly isn't the only
instance!

I'm curious why many people omit the last comma!

-Kelly Burhenne
burhennk -at- liebert -dot- com
Columbus, OH