Re: Converting Ventura docs to Frame

Subject: Re: Converting Ventura docs to Frame
From: David Demyan <concord -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 08:28:00 -0700

About Conversions, Bob Morisette wrote:

>I'll repost my original answer.

>Frame 4 includes a Ventura filter. See "Filters" in the
>on-line doc for instructions.

The problem, Bob, is that the Frame 4 Ventura filter is seriously
flawed. Anyone who has tried the conversion will tell you (and may
start to get hot about it) that it is a labor-intensive conversion
at best. Text and tables come out fair. Anything in a Ventura frame
is garbled in the converted doc. Styles are emulated, but there is
no way to tell the conversion what Ventura tags convert to what
FrameMaker tags. Frame absolutely throws away anything that comes
from the Ventura .vgr, .gen, and .pub files, rendering many features
useless in the converted docs. The conversion does do a good job
on index entries, however, and this makes it a worthwhile path if
you are converting a large document with many index entries, few
graphics, and not a lot of formatting. (If it doesn't crash.)

The bottom line for me is that you can repost your original answer
a dozen times, I (and others) would probably still look for a better
solution that the standard Frame converter.

Dave Demyan *** Mendem Concord, Inc.
(908) 753-8500 *** One Mountain Blvd.
concord -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com *** Warren, NJ 07059
FAX: (908) 754-8224