Re: Innate ability

Subject: Re: Innate ability
From: SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 09:41:56 -0400

Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM> disputes the existence of an
aptitude or natural ability for writing, suggesting:

>>Rather than endlessly restating your opinion, how about coming up
with some:
(a) direct evidence,
(b) informed opinion, or
(c) illuminating anecdotes?<<

Okay. How about:

Chaucer
Shakespeare
Austen
Poe
Frost
etc. for many gigabytes

Do you really believe *anyone* can be taught to write at that level?
Particularly when many great writers -- especially those earlier ones -- had
little or no "training" in writing at all, since such did not exist?

Talent exists, entirely separate from learned behavior. Talent alone will
not create great writing; but even the most dogged effort cannot reach
greatness without some innate ability.

Now, I suspect you will protest that we are not discussing fiction, drama,
and poetry, and we are not: we are discussing innate writing talent,
regardless of what form of writing it is used for.

Yes, it exists. Everyone on this list probably has some degree of innate
ability with written language, or they would have found other things to do
with their lives.

sue stewart
suepstewrt -at- aol -dot- com