Re: of octothorps and at signs

Subject: Re: of octothorps and at signs
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 18:21:57 -0500

re: octothorp
This *is* in Meriam-Webster's 10th Collegiate. I
believe that thorp was from a word meaning "beam."
You could say there are 8 small beams around the
perimeter of the #.

I also believe there is no "e" in "octothorp."

re: at (@)
FWIW, I second the numerous persons who say to just
stick with "at" or "at sign." In Internet jargon,
when a person says their E-mail address, @ is usually
just "at."

I was on the copyediting list when this discussion
was there, and numerous wonderful suggestions were
given. Besides "monkey's tail," suggestions included
"strudel" and "apestaart" (or something similar), which
were based on the symbol's resemblance to the side of
rolled-up pastery.

LaVonna
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com