Re: USAGE: # Symbol

Subject: Re: USAGE: # Symbol
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 08:24:00 -0600

But, WHY do we do that? Does anyone else see it as extraneous?
Don't you know that "2" (or "34" or 512"...) is a number?
Do we really need that little # symbol preceding a number to
clue us in that what follows is a number?

Actually, no. But it is used as an abbreviation of the word "number," just as in
your supplied example - "Ck #3003." If the word "number" is not said in the
context, then "#" should not be used.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124