Word 6 Burps

Subject: Word 6 Burps
From: Wm Blank <wmblank -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 21:54:40 -0700

Jean Richardson wrote:

>If you have been been able to get Master Doc to work on a project that
>has
>more than 150 pages and more than 10 files, I'd like to hear from you.
> How'd
>you do it? What's the magic incantation?

>I am also collecting case histories of organizations who have tried
>unsuccessfully to use Master Document and given up. We are trying to
>convince management to let us stay with Frame.

Welcome to the club. Word burps. A burp is when a code you just put in
suddenly disappears. The only way to make Word's Master Doc feature
really work is to resolve to put the codes back in as many times (and
it will be many times) as the program burps. Burping is particularly
consistently annoying in headers, footers and styles. (At least
WordPerfect's "Reveal Codes" function allows you to see where a burp
has occured.)

--Bill Blank
Tech Writer, Editor, Page Designer