Technical Editor needed in Houston, TX

Subject: Technical Editor needed in Houston, TX
From: Debbie Campbell <dcamp -at- CS -dot- RICE -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 11:13:07 -0600

Hello All,

I just got this job announcement from the computer science department here
at Rice University in Houston, Texas. (You may learn about the department
through its WWW pages: http://www.cs.rice.edu/.)

They plan to fill this position by the end of summer. When you are ready to
submit your resume, please contact Debra Purtee (debra -at- cs -dot- rice -dot- edu);
otherwise, please limit your email inquiries to her about this position.

Copy Freely,
Debbie Campbell (dcamp -at- cs -dot- rice -dot- edu)

P.S. I hold a similar position in another department here on campus and
would be happy to field minor questions. Please note, however, that I am
not a decision-maker for this position.

>Subject: Editor/External Relations Coordinator in Computer Science

>Debbie-

>Well, at long last, the job description is finalized and the position is
>posted. Please post it wherever you think an appropriate candidate may see
>it. We plan to fill the position at the end of the summer.

>We have made it a ninth month job, working the academic year
>only (8/16 - 5/15). There is the vague possibility that we'll get grant
>funding for the summers. The probable
>starting salary is about $30,000 (annualized) which is about $22-$23k for
>the nine month period.

>Personnel gave it the title of Editor, however our working title has been
>External Relations Coordinator because several of the duties do not involve
>writing.

>So, given the parameters above and the job description below, please let
>folks know about our position.

>Thanks!

>Debra

>Editor
>Department of Computer Science
>Position Description - 5/5/95

>Purpose:

>To coordinate public communications for the Department of Computer Science,
>including the development and preparation of a wide variety of materials
>for dissemination to the public and to facilitate the implementation of
>external relations projects.

>Duties and Responsibilities:

>* Gather, write, edit and archive general and technical materials for
>various print and on-line publications, including the Computer Science
>Graduate Studies brochure, departmental newsletter and other departmental
>publications as well as articles for publications produced outside the
>department.

>* Serve as the editor of department-produced publications, assuring timely
>completion and delivery. Manage budget for publications and get approval
>by immediate supervisor to ensure that budgets are within guidelines.
>Monitor progress of printing and distribution operations. Work closely
>with faculty and researchers contributing articles and with the campus
>publications and printing offices or other printers, photographers and art
>designers, and with support staff charged with assisting on various
>publications tasks.

>* Support all activities of the Computer Science Industrial Affiliates
>program and coordinate corporate relations in general, including initiating
>contacts, generating correspondence, coordinating meetings, maintaining
>appropriate records and handling follow-up needs.

>* Develop and maintain World Wide Web pages for the department. Serve as
>the departmental contact for the project.

>* Develop and maintain an alumni database and communications program with
>alumni.

>* Coordinate all activities related to the publication and receipt of
>technical reports, including upkeep of the technical report database,
> [...]

http://www.cs.rice.edu/fortran-tools/

Rice University, Center for Research on Parallel Computation,
CITI/CRPC - MS 41, 6100 South Main Street, Houston, Texas,
77005-1892, phone: (713) 527-8750<tone>2744.