Re: In and under

Subject: Re: In and under
From: Suzanne Lee <suzanne -at- AUTOSIM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 08:52:47 -0600

Douglas Thayer asks:

> In the sentence, "XXX runs in the Windows environment and under UNIX,"
> is there any difference in usage between "in" and "under"? Could these
> be swapped without affecting the meaning of the sentence?

I would say that the operative word is "environment." If you don't use
that, I think "under" is standard. For example, I would write, "XXX runs
under Windows and Unix," but I would write "XXX runs in the Unix and
Windows environments."

JMHO.

Suzanne

from Suzanne Lee - suzanne -at- autosim -dot- com
AutoSimulations, Inc. - Bountiful, UT
(801)298-1398 ext 333 fax (801)298-8186