Left Margins for e:mail messages

Subject: Left Margins for e:mail messages
From: timmerman <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 10:51:43 CDT

Greetings,

One of my colleagues, Marita, just sent an e:mail request to everyone
in our department, which I think is worth sharing with y'all. The
essence of her request is as follows:

"Please set your left margin large enough (10 or 15) so that the
printed version can be three-hole punched without removing any of the
letters in the body copy. I can then save the printed copy in a
three-ring binder for future reference."

I currently save my printed copies in a file folder, and haven't been
concerned with this problem. I have, however, changed my left margin
because I think her request is valid, and it also makes e:mail
messages easier to read on the computer monitor when the text is not
butted up against the left side of the screen. We use margins on the
printed page, why not on the electronic page? No response is
necessary!

Don Timmerman, dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov
Sr. Technical Writer
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL