Re: Hyphen Placement

Subject: Re: Hyphen Placement
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 13:42:33 CDT

> I'd like to know which of these are preferred and why:

> CD-ROM-based reference books
> CD-ROM based reference books
> CD ROM-based reference books

> Many of us in our tech communications group don't like the look of two hyphens
> in a row (as in the first example) and would like to know if either of the
> others are acceptable.

> By the way, we often work our why around this by writing something like
> "reference books based on CD-ROM," but we'd like to settle it.

Why do you need the word "based" at all? They're just books on CD-ROM, right?
Can't you just say "reference books on CD-ROM" or "CD-ROM reference books"?

Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com
Landmark Graphics Corporation http://www.cda.ulpgc.es/steve.html
15150 Memorial Drive
Houston, TX 77009 USA