Re: Frame vs. Publisher vs. ?

Subject: Re: Frame vs. Publisher vs. ?
From: David Demyan <concord -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 06:53:40 -0700

Marta Cepek wrote (in response to Grant's question and describing the steps
to do Windoze captures using Paintbrush as the intermediary):

>1) Crop the captured screens *before* putting them into Word. This will
>make a large difference in file size, particularly if you have a
>high-resolution display. I use Paintbrush (comes with Windoze in the
>Accessories folder). I just use the <Select> tool to drag a box around the
>window or dialog box I need, then use the <Edit> menu's <Copy to> option to
>copy to the same filename.

(snip)

Marta and Grant: Having used this method many times with FrameMaker,
I would add one other note about cropping the image in PB, copying, and
saving the clipped copy to the same filename. If the final BMP file you
save has considerable white space around the image, this increases file
size and slows down FrameMaker (or whatever you paste the final image
into). I have found it better to save the clipped copy to a smaller
paintbrush workspace. You can adjust the workspace by selecting Options,
then Image Attributes... and making the space just a bit larger than
the actual image. This takes some fiddling to get it right and is very
convenient for captures that wind up all the same size (and not too
convenient for capturing a bunch of different sizes), but the payoff
can be significant.

Try it yourself doing two captures of the same image, one on whatever the
default PB workspace is, then on a workspace reduced to just a bit bigger
than the final image size. You'll see a much smaller file size in bytes
when they are listed.

Happy snapping!

Dave Demyan *** Mendem Concord, Inc.
(908) 753-8500 *** One Mountain Blvd.
concord -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com *** Warren, NJ 07059
FAX: (908) 754-8224