Re. editing SAS graphics in CorelDraw.

Subject: Re. editing SAS graphics in CorelDraw.
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 16:18:14 LCL

Elizabeth Carmack wrote about how to edit SAS graphics in CorelDraw.
Unless your software can produce vector graphics (I don't know if SAS
does), you're generally out of luck trying to edit graphics in any
software other than the one you created it in. (I'm assuming you don't
mean editing it as a bitmap... that you can do in any other program
that will import the SAS output or screen capture.) The reason is that
the graphics file format is usually stored as a sequence of commands,
and no two programs share the same commands.

The problem might be solvable if you go through Postscript. Print the
SAS graphic to disk as a PostScript file (using your operating
system's PostScript printer driver), then import the PostScript into
Corel. This often works, but not always... Corel's PostScript filter
used to be pretty flaky, but is improving with age. In any event, once
you've got it into PostScript, software such as DeBabelizer should let
you manipulate the format further. But be warned: the more
manipulating you do, the less likely you'll be able to edit the final
result.

For an unorthodox solution, but one that should work in all cases,
simply export the SAS output data as an ASCII file and import it into
the graphing module of Corel (or any other program... I like
DeltaGraph Pro). Better still, if you have decent export features in
your version of SAS, you can export in spreadsheet format and save
yourself lots of work. This works every time, and lets you use a
proper graphing program instead of the add-on module for SAS. (I've
used and like SAS, but it's not DeltaGraph, no way, no how.)

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: These comments are my own and don't represent the opinions
of the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada.