HELPPPPP, please....Word problem.

Subject: HELPPPPP, please....Word problem.
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 13:11:46 -0500

I need HELP!

We are writing an 80 page document in Word 6.0c for Windows. The problem is
that I cannot figure out how to do this:

1) I want the Chapter Numbers to appear as "Chapter 1" (without the quotes,
of course) as a left-aligned, Arial font, etc.

2) I want the Chapter Title to appear as "Installing the. . . " as Palatino
Italic, right aligned.

3) I want the Table of Contents to appear as "Chapter 1 - Installing the ..."

The limitation of Word's Table of Contents recognizing built-in styles seems
to be the culprit. Even Microsoft can't figure it out, although their manual
is very similar to what I want to do! The technical support rep said she did
not have access to the same manual that the user receives, so I'm not sure
that she really understood what I was trying to do. She faxed me some info
but it didn't help.

If I use "Heading 1" as either the Chapter Number or Chapter Title, then the
Table of Contents won't pick up both on the same line. If I try to number
the TOC 1 style, it automatically applies the numbers to Heading 1. If I
allow this, but try to make the numbers as hidden text, they become hidden
text in the TOC 1......and round and round we go. So far, I have had to
resort to naming the Chapter Number style "ChapterNum" and using Heading 1
style for the Chapter Title. Then I have to go and manually type the numbers
for the Table of Contents. . . . EVERY TIME I update it!

Thanks.

Jane Bergen
AnswerSoft, Inc.
janeb -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com