Re. Reciprocating bosses

Subject: Re. Reciprocating bosses
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 24 May 1995 10:38:29 LCL

Douglas Thayer wrote to ask about two points of grammar/usage:

1. Many years of effort vs. many years of efforts: Both are correct
(in usage if not in grammar), but the first one seems more
grammatical. The reason as far as I can tell is that although more
than one effort undoubtedly occurred, the writer is talking about
effort per se; if you wanted to emphasize the various efforts, you'd
be better to recast the phrase "... has been achieved over many years,
due to [as a result of] the efforts of many people..."

2. Reciprocating _with_ our clients after many years of patronage:
This one is more problematic. I wouldn't use reciprocate at all in
this context. Better to say something like: "We'd like to reward our
clients for their many years of support". But if Boss is really stuck
on reciprocate, how about: "Our clients have been supportive for many
years; we'd like to reciprocate by..."

BTW, buy your Boss a "boss's day" card. If temperatures are flaring,
and your colleague is still employed, you've got an unusually
understanding boss.

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: These comments are my own and don't represent the opinions
of the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada.