Re: In and under

Subject: Re: In and under
From: Tom Brown <tombrown -at- TOMBROWN2 -dot- US -dot- DG -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 31 May 1995 16:52:35 -0400

Our internal style guide cautions that we should always use the trademark
as a modifier, not a noun. The reasoning is that the trademark distinguishes
the item from others of its class. In December Sue Heim and PJ Rose
discussed this and Sue cited a Microsoft requirement that all products
working under their operating system appear as "Such-and-such for the
Microsoft(R) Windows(tm) operating system." I'd be interested to know if
there is a general style guide that addresses the issue. The Chicago
Manual of Style 13rd ed does not.