[no subject]

From: Scott Goodhue <goodhue -at- SMTPGATE -dot- DISCLOSURE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 1995 09:08:41 EST

I spotted references to misspellings such as "definately," which, to
me, sounds something like a defiantly positive agreement to a dining
experience.

A while ago, I discovered that the word "oriented" may also be spelled
as "orientated". The extra "at" gives it a regional phonic, most
endemic to potato growing regions (remember "potatoe" is not a proper
spelling for the starchy, edible tuber). Both spellings can be used
to refer to "place or locate so as to face the east." Orientated,
however, can yield a greater response when Down East (Maine).

Which brings to mind the word "incidents". You can also use the word
"incidences" to describe the plural of occurrences. The biggest
impact is when you use the two together, as in; "I became orientated
after the combined incidences of the deer crossing and road sign."
Although you would be correct in your grammar, you may be accused of
having a few cocktails...