Re: Origin of phonetic alphabet

Subject: Re: Origin of phonetic alphabet
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 08:11:47 MDT

Karen notes:

>>Are you sure that's what it's called??? I think of the IPA as being
the symbols that linguists use to represent sounds, so you can
transcribe a language you've never heard before and have no idea how
to spell.

Yep. I've used that one enough to verify the name. It provides standard
symbols for common sounds that are often spelled differently in various
languages. Many IPA pronunciation tables also come with charts that indicate
the location of the mouth in which specific sounds are made.

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce