Re: "one action per step"

Subject: Re: "one action per step"
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 10:54:00 PDT

Chris Willis wrote:
>I ran into the same problem in an online help system. I, too, prefer to
have
>one action per step. However, I "bit the bullet" when it came to actions
that
>required the user to "Press ENTER," and keep them on the same line, similar
>to your second step 6, above.

>It was a personal preference choice based on the fact that most users would
>consider the act of entering the proper information and pressing enter as
one
>action. Also, when I listed the action in a bullet list, I wanted to be
able
>to keep it as one line of text.

I think that Chris has hit on the crux of the matter. When we determine
what "one action" is, we should base it as much as possible on audience
analysis. That is, first ask yourself the question, what would the reader
consider one action?

Then, drying or after writing, as much as possible, we writers need to
pursue and be active in usability testing. (But of course, I know that is
a luxury.)

BTW, Chris, I know you must've written the above in a hurry.... Based on the
phrase "personal preference choice" <grins and scrunches up face>....
Couldn't resist teasing you about it!

Rosie
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
"You know," said Arthur, "it's times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon
airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep
space, that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was
young."
"Why, what did she tell you?"
"I don't know, I didn't listen."
- The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy