Converting IBM Script (AKA GML and BookMaster) Files into Whatever

Subject: Converting IBM Script (AKA GML and BookMaster) Files into Whatever
From: Harold Henke <hessian -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 1995 18:25:57 MDT

Soapbox Warning: IBM Employee with BookMaster (Script) Experience

In regards to converting IBM Script files (predecessor to General Markup
Language which is the predecessor to Standard Generalized Markup Language, which
is the predecessor to Hyper-Text Markup Language),
you should consider the value of text in a markup language, which is what
your IBM Script files are.

The value of "marked up" or "tagged" source files is that you
can take the source files and convert the markup tags to another set of
markup tags, like SGML, and today's big deal, HTML. My recommendation
would be to make the most of your IBM Script files and focus on a solution
that enables you to convert the IBM Script files into SGML. From there,
you can find a package, such as FrameMaker or Interleaf (or whatever) that
can work with SGML source files, thus providing what you hope you get and
what you want to see on your display screen while preserving the value of
marked up source files.

Harold Henke
The IBM Printing Systems Company
Boulder, CO
"Where we hope for a good employee deal on Lotus SmartSuite."