Inital caps in headings?

Subject: Inital caps in headings?
From: Sonja Draeger <sonja -at- HPATO -dot- AUS -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 11:17:21 EST

content-type:text/plain;charset=us-ascii
mime-version:1.0

Hi there everyone,

I suspect the pros and cons of using initial capitals in headings has been
discussed at length in the past, but I haven't seen anything about the issue
since I've been on this list.

My preference is to use upper case only for the first word, then lower case,
unless the heading contains a proper noun. This does not agree with the
company's
style guide, which was "based on extensive research at the time it was put
together, on both existing style guides with high acceptance, and widely varying
trends around the world".(1990)

I've been told that the style guide will only be updated "at such time as the
worldwide market demands such a change". I've also been told that "industry
trends are not sufficient reasons to depart from any style element in the style
guide". (Does that leave you baffled too? :-))

I guess that actually leaves me with two questions: what is the current trend
for
capitalization in headings, and what worldwide market movements would demand a
change in our style?

TIA
Sonja Draeger
sonja -at- hpato -dot- aus -dot- hp -dot- com