Re. Metabolically challenged

Subject: Re. Metabolically challenged
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 13:13:20 LCL

Here's one for the anecdote bank. Matt Ion's substitution of
"metabolically challenged" for "dead" reminded me of a journal
manuscript I once edited for a colleague, who was in turn writing the
manuscript for his thesis supervisor. During the course of revision,
the senior author passed away, but because we were doing the work
ourselves, we kept right on revising. In the fullness of time, the
manuscript was accepted for publication, and the journal editors wrote
to ask us for the correspondence addresses of both authors.

I'm afraid that although we did explain the situation to the journal,
we were unable to resist the urge to add a P.S. to our letter: "If you
_do_ find out his forwarding address, PLEASE let us know... call
collect if you have to." <grin... albeit shamefacedly>

Ah, the skeletons we keep in our closets!

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: These comments are my own and don't represent the opinions
of the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada.