Re: THE MOST UNKINDEST CUT

Subject: Re: THE MOST UNKINDEST CUT
From: Bill Amos <bpa1 -at- OSI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 12:58:21 +0800

----- Begin Included Message -----

In the latest issue of TIME, an article about Congressional budget cuts
is titled:

THE MOST UNKINDEST CUT

I've been seeing more and more typos and grammatical errors in magazine
and book text these days, but I've never before seen such a blatant error in
a title.

(snip)

Does anyone else get the impression that editing standards in major
publications have been falling of late?

----- End Included Message -----

"That, dear friends, was the most unkindest cut of all..."

Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar" I forget the Act and Scene.
Antony was referring to the fatal wound delivered by Caesar's friend, Marcus
Brutus. Time's use of the "sound bite" in this context is specious at best.
But be assured that Shakespeare did write it that way.

"Brush up your Shakespeare/Start quoting him now..."

:-)

Bill Amos
OSI
Folsom, CA