Listowner Message (Virus)

Subject: Listowner Message (Virus)
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 10:28:19 -0500

Gang,
A list member posted the following message today.

<INCLUDED>
Subject: (Fwd) Virus warning from PKWare - beware of PKZ300B (fwd)
Date: 6/6/95 12:25 PM

This message came to me from my sysadmin. I know we are not to post
these types of messages, but since I use PKZIP regularly when writing
manuals, I thought I'd forward it along. Unlike that previous virus
message that was a definite hoax, this appears to be real.

<END INCLUDED>

The sender is correct--you are "not to post these types
of messages." Period. The posting policy messages DO
NOT contain the phrase "except for you" or the phrase
"unless you think it is particularly important."

IF IT ISN'T ABOUT TECHNICAL COMMUNICATION, DO NOT POST
IT. Just think how your inbox would look if all 1500+
readers (who have already probably seen this) sent it
to the list. Just don't do it.

The discussions have been straying off the topic lately
anyway, but this is getting absurd. As I said in the
message I sent this week(!):

* If it doesn't relate to technical communication,
don't post it.

And:

Not to be deliberately rude, but I can't find a nicer
way to say this other than:
If you are reading this message, these rules apply to
you!

If you are so aware that something is inappropriate
that you say so, THEN PLEASE DON'T POST IT.

Direct all comments about this message to me, not to
the list.

Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu