Re. What to call us?

Subject: Re. What to call us?
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 12:06:24 LCL

I don't recall whether I posted this already, or just in a private
e-mail, so here goes:

I've started to call myself a "professional idiot". This stops just
about anyone in their tracks, gets a good blink from them, and gets a
look of polite inquiry. I can then go on to explain, without having to
fight any preconceived notions. Here's the summary, since you're
wondering!

Professional = I get paid for this work, and I've developed
professional-level skills.

Idiot = I can, with a little work, manage to misunderstand any piece
of writing. Then, I can step back, ask myself why I misunderstood, and
then recast the words until the problem goes away. When I'm done, most
of the nonprofessional idiots (pejorative not intended... I'm just
extending the metaphor) won't have any problems with the writing.

Mind you, I haven't quite gotten up the courage to put this on my
business card, since I'm not always present to explain it. Since I'm
one of those stuffy, serious, professionals, and attract stuffy,
serious, professional jobs, the title might also be seen as
inappropriate and frivolous. Now, to get back to an earlier thread,
what would you call a "professional idiot" in French, Spanish, and
German? <grin>

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: These comments are my own and don't represent the opinions
of the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada.