Re: to show samples or not??

Subject: Re: to show samples or not??
From: Emily Sopensky <ESIris -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 14:52:41 -0400

Rarely, if ever, would I NOT show samples. Generally, you are the expert and
the client is not. Help them understand what you do. Put it in context for
them. Of course, if you don't have anything to show, then don't (probably the
case of the freelance author you referred to). But if you do have something,
then come prepared. That's what portfolios are for.

Occasionally, the interviewer doesn't have time or is not the one making any
decisions. Nevertheless, this is a perfect opportunity for you to leave them
with a lasting impression, regardless if you get the job-this time!

Showing will also demonstrate that you've finished products and care and
understand the process enough to get it done. Also,many clients don't have
the foggiest what technical communicators do (even though they claim they
do). Giving them something to hold has a calming effect.

What I never do is let them keep any samples-UNLESS it's totally my property
and is relatively easy to reproduce. Do leave them with something. Even if
you don't get the job this time. You are far more memorable to the potential
client if you leave them with something they can refer to later-besides your
resume.

Emily Sopensky
The Iris Co.
Austin