Re: Hypothetical Un-PC Questions....

Subject: Re: Hypothetical Un-PC Questions....
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 17:40:29 -0700

Rosie Wilcox writes...
[snip]

> Question: Should the writer point out the "un-PC-ness" -- excuse my
> language -- of either or both of these examples to the development team
> and/or the management?

> Example 1:

> In a "Programmer's Guide" that is to be used by future maintenance
> programmers documenting the database. The database field name is
> "indian_tribe" and the field description is "Indian tribe blah-de-dah".

> Should the writer tell the database guy that the database field name needs
> to be changed because it isn't "Native American"?

> Example 2:

> On a "button" in an application used by Field Engineers: "Men/Equipment".

> Should the writer advise the team that the button name should be changed so
> as not to discriminate against women?

In my opinion, the answer to both questions is yes. Not only
should the writer advise the developer of the political
incorrectness of the examples, but the writer should also
make suggestions to rectify the situation.

Likewise, if the writer is aware that the product is headed
toward the international market and the product metaphore
or graphics are inappropriate and/or possibly offensive to
the international marketplace, the writer should send out
warnings.

The writer, of course, may not be listened to. ;-)

I've kept my peace about the PC discussion so far, but I gotta
throw my two cents into the pot now. (I tried to keep quiet,
honest I did!)

Is PC a topic for this list. Oh yeah. Do I like the current
PC movement. No. Not particularly. I'd much rather use the
generic "he" than jury-rig a sentence to the plural or use
some contrivance like s/h/it. I think that *some* people
have become far too sensitive about the issue.

But... My feelings not withstanding, the issue is real,
it's a problem, and it has to be dealt with. I am a
professional communicator. I, therefore, should be able
to control the communication process. The communication
process includes (remember Speach 101, guys???)...
The Sender
The Receiver
The Message
The Feedback
The NOISE

If I only consider the Sender (myself) and the Message
(my words) in my writing, then I haven't even come up
to half of the communication process. What kind of
communicator does that make me??? *My* answer would be
"not a very good one" (actually - for those who know me -
"halfa**ed" would be closer to my actual words ;-) ).

If the noise that I have to deal with is centuries of
repression and discrimination, then that's what I'll
deal with. I may not like it. But I have a responsibility
to make my message easy to understand. My reader has no
corresponding responsibility to be understanding of me
because I am the one requesting to be read. My personal
feelings aside, that's my *job*.

OK, I'll shut up now. ;-)

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA