Re. Teachers vs. students: one moral

Subject: Re. Teachers vs. students: one moral
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 09:12:21 LCL

The recent discussion on whether to blame students or teachers for
poor writing/reading skills has been criticized as off-topic by some
of our roving correspondents.

However, I'd note that a parallel lesson can be drawn from this debate
that applies directly to the subject of the list: writing for an
audience. In this sense, the writer is analogous to the teacher, and
the audience is analogous to the student. What _I_ have learned from
my teaching experience is that both the teacher and the student must
be part of the learning experience, and that if either fails, learning
may not occur. (It may occur too, but certainly isn't guaranteed.)

Now, arguing by analogy is risky business, but it seems to me that the
equivalent situation is that successful communication depends on both
the writer and the reader: if either fails, communication may not
occur. (This has the ring of truth to it, but as they say in science:
"The tragedy of science is the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by
ugly fact.") It's also interesting to note that our recent debate on
political correctness has strong echoes in my hypothesis: several
posters noted that our responsibility is to write clearly, and not
accept the blame if someone deliberately misintreprets our words.

So the question now becomes how, as writers, we can fulfill our part
of the partnership, and how we can encourage our readers to fulfill
their part. Let the debate begin anew!

--Geoff Hart #8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: These comments are my own and don't represent the opinions
of the Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada.