Re: Formatting Question

Subject: Re: Formatting Question
From: Barb Miller <millerb -at- TCPLINK -dot- NREL -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 13:28:35 MDT

Kathleen asks

> In general, does a two column format save space? I prefer to use a single
> column but I am working with a large group on a proposal and do
> not have the final say.

As many have stated the issue isn't space but readability. A rule of thumb
I learned was that a column should be no more than 2-1/2 times the
alphabet. This takes into account various type styles and point sizes. I
don't know of a real minimum, but we tend to read in chunks, not word by
word. So it's important to keep the chunks together, if possible.

Barb Miller
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
millerb -at- tcplink -dot- nrel -dot- gov