Re: Hypothetical Un-PC Questions....

Subject: Re: Hypothetical Un-PC Questions....
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1995 21:29:42 -0400

>On Wed, 7 Jun 1995 15:48:00 PDT Matt Ion wrote:

<snip>

>>On a "button" in an application used by Field Engineers: "Men/Equipment".
>>
>>Should the writer advise the team that the button name should be changed so
>>as not to discriminate against women?

>I think the very concept that it "discriminates against women" is pure BS.
>I'm sure it was foremost in the writer's mind: "I'll put MEN in there because
>I don't think women could do that job even if the silly bitches wanted to."

Unfortunately, putting MEN/Equipment rather then something like
STAFF/Equipment more likely reflects that it NEVER OCCURRED to the writer
that a woman could do the job. That's the concept that "political
correctness" is trying to change.

I spent years working as an engineer. Here are some of the situations I
encountered, simply because it never occurred to the men in charge that
women might become engineers or refinery operators:

+ There were no women's washrooms or locker rooms in the refinery, so I
wasn't allowed to join the maintenance crew on my first summer job with an
oil company

+ By the next summer ONE women's washroom was added, but it was located
clear across the refinery (about a 15-minute walk - it was a big refinery).
Still no shower or locker room, though.

+ There were no properly-sized coveralls, steel-toed boots, work gloves,
tools, or safety equipment available through the company. I either provided
my own (at my expense) or went without.

Sometimes I wonder if "polital correctness"is being taken too far. Then I
remember all the times I wanted to haul off and punch out some male operator
who insisted on calling me "girlie", or who laughed at my floral gardening
gloves (the only leather work gloves small enough to fit), and I think,
"Naaaah!"

Win

Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor