Re: Screen capture in Unix

Subject: Re: Screen capture in Unix
From: Kathleen Kuvinka <kathee -at- SIRIUS -dot- IDEC -dot- SDL -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 09:52:14 MDT

> I've just started a short-term contract, and I need a tool that I can
> use to get screen dumps from probably a Solaris system (the product
> is multi-platform). Then I will have to move the screens over to a
> DOS box to integrate them into the manuals.

> Has anyone done this? What tool should I use and what format will it
> save the files as? I'll be doing the manuals in WordPerfect.

> I prefer shareware or freeware, and it would help a lot if it were
> something I could get from an FTP site somewhere.

> Thanks,
> Lisa Higgins

Lisa,

I have SunOS, not Solaris, but there is a Snapshot utility included with
the OS that will save windows, screens, or specified regions to a Sun
rasterfile format. Normally I would use "xv" (because I have XWindows) to
convert that file into another format. I don't know what WordPerfect can
handle, but probably TIFF or GIF would work. I'm pretty sure xv is free.

If you have not found a workable solution, get back to me - I'm pretty
busy but I should have more time after today. (Still working on that
2 column vs. 1 column thing ;~> )

Good luck!

Kathleen
kathee -at- sdl -dot- usu -dot- edu