Leading the way

Subject: Leading the way
From: "Vollbach, Elizabeth" <evollbach -at- LOGICON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 1995 10:35:08 PST

I don't agree that technical writers have the power to lead the way
toward prevention of the spread of harmful attitudes. I wish we were
that powerful, but we aren't. We aren't newspaper or magazine writers
(most of us, anyways); our subject matter prevents us from leading the
way. If technical writers think we can lead the way by not using
certain pronouns, I think that we exaggerate our own importance and
influence quite a bit. Beth