Re: leaving samples

Subject: Re: leaving samples
From: Bonni Graham <bonnig -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 1995 09:48:34 -0700

Marcia Coulter wrote:

>1. I am a free-lance tech writer. Many of my clients are releasing new
> products and (justifiably) worried about inadvertently supplying
> intelligence to their competitors. So much so that I often have to
> negotiate being able to show samples at all! So yes, the samples
> and the information they contain *are* proprietary.

>2. In order to impress, I bring along the bound, published copies of
> my work. I really don't want to let loose of those for more than a
> few minutes.

Both of these reasons are excellent descriptions of why not to leave work. They
are also excellent descriptions of why I'm always thrilled to write and present
a paper at STC conferences. Doing so gives me a nice "leave" piece that's
totally my own copyright. Since I also have the source file, I can publish the
"leave" piece to whatever page layout I think most appropriate (not always the
same format as the Proceedings). Legally, to the best of my knowledge, I'm
only "loaning" the paper itself to the conference -- granting them one-time use
rights.

I can demonstrate how I explain a technical topic to a technically competent
audience who is unfamiliar with the specific information (in my best "leave"
piece, Object Orientation). If I include the handouts I usually create, I can
also demonstrate how I can use clip-art graphics to illustrate my point.

I bring along client work (fully authorized) to the interview or meeting, but I
don't leave that. Instead, I leave my paper, for which I have unlimited
distribution rights.

It may not work for everyone, but I've used it to good effect.

Bonni Graham
Manual Labour
"If they have to look it up, they're already aggravated." B. Block