publishing salary ranges

Subject: publishing salary ranges
From: scot <scot -at- HCI -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 16:35:41 +1000

> It still seems to me that it is the company itself that can beat this game;
> simply publish the pay range for the position in the ad. You will get no
> more unusable resumes than you do now, and but by submitting resumes the
> qualified candidates signal their willingness to work for what you can pay.

In Australia its par for the course that the employer publishes, or at least
tells you on initial contact, the salary range they are expecting to pay.
Frankly I don't apply for jobs that don't (not that I've actually applied
for a job in many years).

The problem is, I expect, that some employers are very flexible; they'll
employ someone with less experience for less money than advertised if
they're impressed enough, and if they find a really impressive person, they
may pay more than the rate advertised .. sometimes it really does depend on
the person.

While I'm here, are you (americans) getting all these ads for WWW writers?
Its really taken off here over the last 6 months especially and I have seen
several ads for them locally. The problem, as I see it, is salary, every
single one of these jobs I've seen advertised has a salary in the very low
range -- and overly demanding job specifications to go with it. They are
expecting a Unix system administrator (set the system up), a programmer (for
CGI gateways), a graphics designer (fancy graphics and unusual layout
mandatory), and finally, a writer (often the emphasis on this aspect comes
dead last).

now, maybe I'm a greedy sonofabitch, but I have all those skills to varying
extents (i.e. I set up both this compnay's web site, and one of my own that
I run, I am a tech.writing consultant/project manager (with requistie
experience in graphic design), and I was a programmer (albeit 4GL) in a
contemplating ... more like twice that! I find it quite ridiculous that for
a position that needs so many skills they're only prepared to offer a new
graduate's salary ... c'est la vie.

scot.
HCI Consulting Better Communications Better Management.
(61-2)247-3437 (ph) http://www.hci.com.au/management/
(61-2)247-5160 (fax) GPO Box 4846 Sydney NSW 2001 Australia
The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of HCI
Consulting, its management, its employees, or even myself.