Salary History Revisited

Subject: Salary History Revisited
From: Chris Frederick Willis <ChrisOp -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 12:21:00 -0400

I hadn't expected the outpouring of response to my original post in defense
of a salary history request.

As I have responded to others via e-mail, quite frankly, I've never asked for
a salary history. Personally, I DO care more about what a person WANTS to
make . . . If it's within the boundaries of what I am prepared to offer for
the available level of skill, then it gives us a fair starting point. Even if
it is not, I don't want to close any doors until we've both had a chance to
put all of the cards on the table. For instance, a candidate who does not
quite match the skill level that I am seeking may convince me that their
potential is worth a second glance.

My post was in response to sentiments along the lines of "If anyone is asking
for your salary history, they are a blood sucking sweat shop." That's just
not always true. They may simply be disgruntled interviewers!

Chris Willis
Media 1
West Michigan, USA

chrisop -at- aol -dot- com