Re: comma or semicolon??

Subject: Re: comma or semicolon??
From: Nathan Harms <Nathan_Harms -at- ENABEL -dot- CCINET -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 1995 23:29:17 -0000

>Timothy Schablin,timothy -at- eskimo -dot- com,Internet wrote:

>Check this one out. Would you use a comma instead?

> Atlas Inc. consist of a scientific team; combining thier experience
>and education to provide you with the highest quality products.

>One of my books says a comma, the other book says a smicolon.

>thanks for your help,

>Timothy Schablin

i would *definitely* use a comma. More importantly, though, i would change
"consist" to read "consists". Also, since "their" immediately follows
"team",
it ought to be changed to "its".

Therefore: "Atlas Inc. consists of a scientific team, combining its
experience
and education to provide you with the highest quality products."

i have other problems with this sentence, including the question of whether a

"team" can "combine" its experience, as the idea of combining appears to
indicate
multiple inputs, while a team is a singular entity.

Nathan_Harms -at- enabel -dot- ccinet -dot- ab -dot- ca

Via ENABEL - Communications & Information Network