Re: Contract writing

Subject: Re: Contract writing
From: Rose Wilcox <RWILC -at- FAST -dot- DOT -dot- STATE -dot- AZ -dot- US>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 15:19:00 PDT

Lori Holman <1179 -at- MN2 -dot- LAWSON -dot- LAWSON -dot- COM> wrote:

>Can I get some comments about contract writing?

>I've never been a contract writer myself, but I'd like to know more about
>what it's like, what a contact house looks for in a writer (tool knowledge
>and experience), what kind of hours you're expected to work, whether you
can
>work part of the time from home, and so on.

Writing from experience working through the job shops here in the Phoenix,
Arizona area:

1. A contract house looks for a writer who the client will accept. If the
client specifies knowledge of a specific tool, that's what the job shop
looks for... and so on. Very few job shops will keep you on after the
contract ends and find you a new contract.

2. I have always had to work 40 hours or more on-site.

3. A few jobs allowed me to take work home if I have to work overtime, but
this has varied from client to client. I have not found any part-time at
home jobs through job shops. I think if you want to work part-time from
your home you need to go the independent route.

Hope this helps.
Rosie Wilcox
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com