HTML Development Tools

Subject: HTML Development Tools
From: Matt Ion <mion -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 02:43:05 PDT

The question of HTML authoring tools (and markup/hypertext tools in general)
has been common recently. Here's a little combination I've been using and
loving. All very tightly integrated and offering probably about the closest
thing you'll find to WYSIWYG HTML authoring.

The following message was originally posted in assorted comp.os.* newsgroups
by IBM Vancouver's Duncan Strong.

(Additional note: the forwarded post below doesn't mention it, but in addition
to HTML, SphyDir will by default also save files as .IPF format, which can
then be compiled into OS/2 .INF files and, with minor tweaks, Windows .HLP
files (I think the first byte or two are the only differences between the
two).

>>Be aware that although there is no "official" IBM package for designing,
>>testing and deploying WWW sites with OS/2 Warp (although the rumours are
>>very strong!), several inexpensive (free, in most cases) tools exist today
>>which position OS/2 Warp as an excellent platform for developing and serving
>>HTML documents.
>>
>>------------------
>>Web Site Authoring
>>------------------
>>
>>The best tool on any platform (in my humble opinion) for developing Web pages
>>is the SPHyDir tool available from "PC Lube&Tune". This tool puts clunky
>>solutions like HoTMetaL and Microsoft Internet Assistant to shame with its
>>slick object-oriented, drag-n-drop environment. Creating links between pages
>>is as simple as dragging an URL from your WebExplorer hotlist onto an icon on
>>the page. The same goes for graphics and forms. It's almost too easy.
>>
>>SPHyDir is unique in that it shines at both simple and complex HTML projects:
>>the interface is easy to learn, yet the feature set is robust, pervasive and
>>deeply object-oriented.
>>
>>The best part about SPHyDir is its tight integration with both IBM
>>WebExplorer and the GoServe WWW Server from IBM (see below). SPHyDir can
>>automatically transmit "works-in-progess" to the WebExplorer (or NetScape)
>>for instant previews. These documents are "live" and can be tested on the
>>spot. Users can also drag-n-drop Web pages directly from the WebExplorer onto
>>the SPHyDir workspace, allowing easy linking of disparate documents. In the
>>same vein, SPHyDir is very aware of the GoServe WWW Server's requirements for
>>forms support and generates REXX (CGI) handlers and filters automatically.
>>
>>SPHyDir is free as long as pages built with it display a small "plug" for the
>>SPHyDir author, Howard Gilbert. Commercial licenses are available.
>>
>>Check it out at http://pclt.cis.yale.edu/pclt/sphydir/sphydir.htm
>>
>>------------
>>Web Serving
>>------------
>>
>>As mentioned above, IBM's GoServe WWW Server is available for serving HTTP
>>requests on the OS/2 Warp platform. Along with the robust 32-bit TCP/IP stack
>>built into OS/2 Warp Connect, GoServe transforms OS/2 Warp into a high-speed,
>>incredibly efficient HTTP server.
>>
>>GoServe can be locally administered through a graphical WorkPlace shell
>>interface, or it can be remotely controlled through a Web browser. It
>>supports user limits, caching, and can even serve double-duty as a Gopher
>>Server! It supports REXX scripts for forms support and image-mapping, making
>>the learning curve for building complex Web sites very short. It leverages
>>the multi-threaded architecture of OS/2 Warp by dispatching separate threads
>>for client requests. Translation: high capacity and high speed. The best
>>feature is the price: it's free!
>>
>>GoServe was developed by Mike Cowlishaw, an IBM Fellow (ie. really, really
> [...]

Opinions expressed / ROCK-IT SCIENCE Mobile Audio and Security
do not necessarily /| ...the 1040 MIDI & Music BBS Technical Services
reflect those of any [ SOUNDMAN Internet mion -at- direct -dot- ca Fido 1:153/7106
marginally sane human \| WWW http://www.musicwest.com/1040bbs/
being anywhere. \ FAX: (604)253-8312 DATA: (604)732-4446